Ever wonder what the whole purpose of your life is? Is it to pursue happiness, riches, career, relationships, travel, family, success? Don’t we, as people, have this nagging question deep within us. I’ve heard so many people struggling with this question, “What am I here for?” and “What’s my purpose?”
We have the answer to all our questions in Ecclesiastes 12:
- “13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.[c] 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with[d] every secret thing, whether good or evil.” ESV
- “13 Here is the final conclusion, now that you have heard everything: fear God, and keep his mitzvot; this is what being human is all about. 14 For God will bring to judgment everything we do, including every secret, whether good or bad.” CJB
What is being a human all about, coming directly from the mouth of Solomon who was gifted with more wisdom than any man, and also had more wealth, power, prestige, and romance more than any?
What it all comes down to is…
- Fear God – Respect Him, honor Him,
- Keep His Commandments – the Torah
- These two things are the beginning and end of our purpose. If we find ourselves within #1 and #2, we will be living a “Purpose Filled Life.”
“So remember your creator while you are young, before the evil days come, and the years approach when you will say, “They no longer give me pleasure”; 2 before the sun and the light grow dim, also the moon and the stars; before the clouds return after the rain; 3 on the day when the guards of the house are trembling, and men of courage are bent over double; when the women stop grinding grain, because there are so few; when the women at the windows can no longer see out; 4 when the doors to the streets are kept shut; when the noise from the grain-mill fades; when a person is startled by the chirp of a bird, yet their singing is hard to hear; 5 when they will be afraid to go up a hill, and terrors will stalk the way, even though the almond tree is in bloom; when the locust can only drag itself along, and the caper berry has no [aphrodisiac] effect — because the person is headed for his eternal home, and the mourners are already gathering in the marketplace — 6 before the silver cord is snapped the bowl of gold is cracked, the pitcher is shattered at the spring, the pulley is broken at the cistern, 7 the dust returns to earth, as it was, and the spirit returns to God, who gave it! 8 Pointless! Meaningless! — says Kohelet, Nothing matters at all!…“
“13 Here is the final conclusion, now that you have heard everything: fear God, and keep his mitzvot; this is what being human is all about. 14 For God will bring to judgment everything we do, including every secret, whether good or bad.” CJB
Live life each day before it is taken away!