Have you ever wondered about the beauty of Lucifer and why he remains so appealing to a majority of the people on the face of this earth? For those not clothed in the blood of the Lamb, and being diligent to stay focused on Christ’s words, Lucifer’s appeal is beyond any appeal that could ever be brought before a man. It is overpowering and yet subtle and sly until you are engulfed in it. One can fall into Lucifer’s grasp without even knowing your very soul has landslid down a mountain of destruction leading to an unquenchable fire.
“No wonder, for even Satan [Previously known as “Lucifer”] disguises himself as an angel of light. ” 2 Corinthians 11:14
How did God originally create Lucifer? What were his attributes? We can read about him in Ezekiel 28. The immediate prophecy for these verses is towards the king of Tyre, but it doesn’t take long to realize these verses are not really about this king (as most doesn’t apply), but are in fact God telling us about his most beautiful creation, Lucifer…
“‘Thus says the Lord God,“You [d]had the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 “You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The ruby, the topaz and the diamond; The beryl, the onyx and the jasper; The lapis lazuli, the turquoise and the emerald; And the gold, the workmanship of your [e]settings and [f]sockets,Was in you. “On the day that you were created They were prepared.” Ezekiel 28:12-13
So, what did we learn from these two verses?
- Lucifer was created perfect on the day the Lord God created him.
- Lucifer was full of wisdom so that all who heard him were in awe over his intelligence.
- Lucifer was full of perfect beauty so that all who look upon him were in captivated.
- Lucifer was covered in the richness and spender of precious stones and gold. His entire being glowed and was mesmerizing.
- Lucifer was placed in the Garden of Eden in its perfection as he was perfect and completed it.
14 “You were the anointed cherub who [g]covers, And I placed you there. You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 “You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created until unrighteousness was found in you.” Ezekiel 28:14-15
- Lucifer was anointed by God as the angel who covered God, high above His throne.
- Lucifer had access to the very area which God resided.
- Lucifer was perfectly holy and blameless in all his ways, without error or fault.
- Lucifer turned from God as sin crept into his heart.
Lucifer was not created to be evil, but rather he became evil because of his pride. Just as man has the freedom to choose sin, angels also have free will to sin, though most will never consider it. (For more on angels, see previous post) God never created “robots” because He wanted His creation all to love Him of their own freedom of choice. False love has no value.
16 “By the abundance of your trade [or merchandise, what God has given him] [h]You were internally filled with violence, And you sinned; Therefore I have cast you as profane From the mountain of God. And I have destroyed you, O [i]covering cherub, From the midst of the stones of fire.
- Because Lucifer had been blessed so much by the Lord in all ways, he became full of conceit and violence in his heart. Because of this sin, God cast him from his position above God’s throne as the “one who covers” and destroyed not only his position in the heavenlies, but will destroy him completely in the end.
17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor. I cast you to the ground; I put you before kings, That they may see you.
- Lucifer became arrogant in his beauty and because of his focus on his external qualities, his wisdom could not see that beauty was not enough for him to set himself above the one who created him that way. And, with that, God cast him down to the earth, before the kings of the earth, that they might be enticed and fall by him.
18 “By the multitude of your iniquities, In the unrighteousness of your trade You profaned your sanctuaries. Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you; It has consumed you, And I have turned you to ashes on the earth In the eyes of all who see you. 19 “All who know you among the peoples Are appalled at you; You have become [j]terrified And you will cease to be forever.”’”” Ezekiel 28:12:19
- Lucifer’s sins extended from his arrogance to multiple transgressions so that all of what God had blessed him with became unholy and defiled. All of the glory of Lucifer became as a foul odor to God. God turned his glory to ashes and sent him to the earth. Though his glory will still appeal to man on the earth for a while (as he disguises himself still as an angel of light), in the end, God will destroy Lucifer in the sight of all the people who follow him. And, at the destroying of him, the people will finally cease their allegiance to him and will be appalled at who he really is.
“‘Thus says the Lord [b]God,“Because your heart is lifted up And you have said, ‘I am a god, I sit in the seat of [c]gods In the heart of the seas’; Yet you are a man and not God, Although you make your heart like the heart of God” Ez 28
- Lucifier does not realize that he is like a man, he is merely a created being by God. He does not realize that he cannot be like the Creator.
3 Behold, you are wiser than Daniel; There is no secret that is a match for you. 4 “By your wisdom and understanding You have acquired riches for yourself And have acquired gold and silver for your treasuries. 5 “By your great wisdom, by your trade You have increased your riches And your heart is lifted up because of your riches— Ez 28
- Lucifer is more wise than any man. There is nothing that he cannot figure out, or scheme against. Because of his incredible intelligence and wisdom, he has become wealthy on the earth, storing up treasures that will be destroyed. His ability to sell his ‘trade’ to many on the earth has increased his riches so that his heart has become more and more prideful.
6 Therefore thus says the Lord God,‘Because you have made your heart Like the heart of God, 7 Therefore, behold, I will bring strangers upon you, The most ruthless of the nations.And they will draw their swords Against the beauty of your wisdom And defile your splendor. 8 ‘They will bring you down to the pit, And you will die the death of those who are slain In the heart of the seas.” Ez 28
- Because Lucifer continues to heap up sins of pride against God, He will bring in an army against him in the end. God says that His army, is Jesus Christ, and His resurrected saints, who will come with swords drawn to take down Satan in the end. Together, the army of Christ will defeat Satan and he will be brought down to the lake of fire, along with those who have followed him on this earth.
9 ‘Will you still say, “I am a god,” In the presence of your slayer, Though you are a man and not God, In the hands of those who wound you? 10 ‘You will die the death of the uncircumcised By the hand of strangers, For I have spoken!’ declares the Lord God!”’”” Ezekiel 28:1-10
- Lucifer not only thought himself as God, but he convince(s)(d) others he was god as well, though he is just as a man, he is created by God. Because of this, he will be delivered up to the army of Jesus Christ, who is a stranger to him.
We see another parallel for Lucifer in Isaiah 14 so we can learn a little bit more about him.
“9 “Sheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come; It arouses for you the [e]spirits of the dead, all the [f]leaders of the earth; It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones. 10 “They will all respond and say to you, ‘Even you have been made weak as we, You have become like us. 11 ‘Your pomp and the music of your harps Have been brought down to Sheol; Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you And worms are your covering.’ Is 14:9-11
- At the end, Lucifer will be sent to the lake of fire, and for those who he drew there before him, they will be excited to see him there to suffer as they were. All of the evil leaders of the earth, and the rest of the dead, will recognize that Lucifer has been made weak as they were, and he will become as one of the suffering and tormented.
12 “How you have fallen from heaven, O [g]star of the morning, son of the dawn!: Is 14:12A
- Lucifer’s original home was in heaven, but God has cast him down to the earth. Satan has also claimed the sun for his item of worship, so most pagan religions will have symbols of the sun for its worship, including within the Catholic Church we will see sun discs above the heads of Jesus, Mary, and the saints and this is also to draw worship towards the sun, claimed by Lucifer.
12You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations!” Is 14:12B
- Lucifer’s effect on the earth has not strengthened them, but rather weakened them away from God’s Truth. His plagues have went out to all of the nations of the earth.
13 “But you said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. 14 ‘I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’” Is 14:13-14
- Because of Lucifer’s beauty and wisdom, pride crept into his heart and he thought that he deserved worship above every other being, and above even God, Himself. He felt that because of all of his blessings, he could become as God was, and become the ruler of them all.
15 “Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, To the recesses of the pit.16 “Those who see you will gaze at you, They will [h]ponder over you, saying, ‘Is this the man [Lucifer] who made the earth tremble, Who shook kingdoms, 17 Who made the world like a wilderness And overthrew its cities, Who did not [i]allow his prisoners to go home?’ 18 “All the kings of the nations lie in glory, Each in his own [j]tomb” Is 14:15-18
- In the end, Lucifer will be thrown down to hell, or the lake of fire, where others await who have died from the earth before him. They will no longer see him as a god, but only as a weak being as they are. They will recognize that it was him that lead evil on the earth, and lead them to the death they will receive forever and ever.
God allowed Lucifer to follow this path because God’s ultimate plan was to send His Son, Jesus Christ, in the flesh, but still God, to die for the sins of all who would follow Him, by their own choice. With the resurrection of His Son, and the resurrection of those who would call on the name of Jesus Christ, Lucifer’s plans would be defeated and his earthly reign would end in the eternal lake of fire. However, the immortal reign of the resurrected saints would continue with Jesus Christ for all of eternity. What a plan the Lord has made. We await for the day when Lucifer is no longer able to captivate the minds, hearts, and souls of all of those who do not call on the name of Jesus Christ. And, we pray for the grips of Lucifer to be loosened on those to who will seek you and find you. In the mighty name of the only one who saves, Jesus Christ. Amen.