Is your own fight for your life passive or aggressive in your pursuit of Christ?
- Passive: acted upon by an external agency, lacking in energy or will, tending not to take an active or dominant part, not active or operating
- Aggressive: marked by combative readiness, marked by driving forceful energy or initiative, strong or emphatic in effect or intent, growing, developing, or spreading rapidly, more severe, intensive, or comprehensive than usual especially in dosage or extent
So, are you just sitting by, passively, and thinking that Christ will change you without any energy or will on your part? Or, are you aggressively pursuing the things of Christ, making Him a priority in your life, intensively and comprehensively putting much effort on your part to ensure that you are growing in Christ? It’s a huge question to contemplate and it’s one that Christ will not only ask you when you come into His presence, but already knows the answer to right now in your daily life.
The fight for your life is just that, it is a fight, and without a passionate effort on your part, you will not only be struck from blows many times, but, in the end, you won’t be able to recover from it. You’ll be down for the count. So, how can you ensure that you are fighting for your very own life and sanctification (becoming more holy and the nature of Christ)?
For starters, what are you allowing into your eyes. Jesus says that whatever you allow into your eyes either purifies and matures you, or it pollutes and drags you off the righteous path of God.
Let’s look at one example… Do Hollywood movies seem harmless and just fun entertainment? Violence and killing disguised as “Action.” Satanism, occult, murder, torture, and witchcraft disguised as “Horror” and “Suspense.” Immoral sexual references and relations as well as profanity disguised as “Romantic Comedies.” Corruption, betrayal, and lying disguised as “Drama.” Pornography, pedophilia, sexual exploitation & abuse, disguised as “Adult Entertainment.”
What about the secular, popular singers and bands of today who were are listening to? Do we really understand the unseen spiritual world that is not only behind them but empowering them? Do we think that we can watch sin (or hear it) and not be affected by it? Do we understand how demons work and how by allowing sin into our eyes (or into our ears), we turn over power to them who can then affect us in greater ways? Do we understand that most of the ‘best of the best’ entertainers have invited in and are controlled by demons who then go on to influence us?
Christ gave us a strong warning about our eyes (and applies to our ears as well). Perhaps He understands much greater than we do how what we allow into our eyes affects our very soul.
- “34 The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is [a]clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is [b]bad, your body also is full of darkness. 35 Then watch out that the light in you is not darkness.” Luke 11:34-35
- “22 “The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is [a]clear, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is [b]bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!” Matthew 6:23-23
So, what if we continue allowing sin to be viewed by our eyes and heard by our ears, in that, we are not intentionally walking away from it? Well, Jesus lets us know that our ears and our eyes will continue to become more and more dim, that is, we will decrease in our ability to recognize sin and run from it. We will become accepting of it and immune to its effects. It will no longer have the stench of death to us, as it does to Christ, but rather, we will be blind to its destructive path. Jesus goes on to say that it would be better that if we found our eye drawn to it and engulfed in it, that we cut out that eye as that eye will cause us to fall into hell. The sin spiral is wide and deep and more powerful the more we are engulfed in its pull.
- “14 [a]In their case the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled, which says,‘[b]You will keep on hearing, [c]but will not understand; [d]You will keep on seeing, but will not perceive; 15 For the heart of this people has become dull, With their ears they scarcely hear, And they have closed their eyes, Otherwise they would see with their eyes, Hear with their ears, And understand with their heart and return, And I would heal them.’ 16 But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear.” Matthew 13:14-16
- ““…Do you have a [a]hardened heart? 18 Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember,” Mark 8:17b-18
- “8 “If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than [a]to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. 9 If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than [b]to have two eyes and be cast into the [c]fiery hell.” Matthew 18:8-9
But, it’s not too late. When we recognize that we are being, or have been, drawn into sin, we still have time to call on the name of Jesus and ask Him to open up our blind eyes so that we can see clearly. He will give us forgiveness and renewed sight to see sin for what it is and to run from it.
:32 And Jesus stopped and called them, and said, “What do you want Me to do for you?” 33 They *said to Him, “Lord, we want our eyes to be opened.” 34 Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.” Matthew 20:32-34
Jesus Christ implores us to not do the things the world does. Do not even participate in it. Do not listen to it. Do not watch it. Do not celebrate it. Do not buy what it does. Do not sell what it does. For we do not understand fully the effects the unseen world has on us, for many demons have been assigned to people and things of this world, and when we watch, listen, or participate in the things of this world, we give permission for the demons to come into our lives.
- “15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.” 1 John 2:15-17
- “16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,“I will dwell in them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 17 “Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord. “And do not touch what is unclean; And I will welcome you. 18 “And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” Says the Lord Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:16-18
- “7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 [f]trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even [g]expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. ” Ephesians 5;7-12
- “And Jesus said, “For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind.”” John 9:39
- “18 “If the world hates you, [a]you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A slave is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.” John 15:18-20
- ” 2 And do not be conformed to this [c]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may [d]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [e]acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
- “I heard another voice from heaven, saying, “Come out of her, my people, so that you will not participate in her sins and receive of her plagues;” Revelation 18:4
I, sadly, see so many professing Christians participate in the evil things of this world, listening to the music of professing demon possessed artists, enticing themselves by watching “love” stories of the flesh outside of God’s plan for marriage, partying at bars, using foul language or laughing at the perverse jokes, and much more. We, as Christians, are suppose to be, “the called out ones,” which means that we are different, or set a part from the rest of the world. So, what the world does, we do not do, and because of this they notice that we don’t and wonder why. But now, the church is so watered down that there is hardly any difference between church members and the atheists down the street. Without our diligence in keeping in the ways of Christ, the world cannot see the difference and thus will not seek to follow the one we serve.
Fight for your life as if it depended on it, because it does. Put on His armor.
“10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against [e]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 [f]in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 [g]With all prayer and petition [h]pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, [i]be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints, 19 and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in [j]chains; that [k]in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. 21 But that you also may know about my circumstances, [l]how I am doing, Tychicus, the beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will make everything known to you. 22 [m]I have sent him to you for this very purpose, so that you may know [n]about us, and that he may comfort your hearts. 23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ [o]with incorruptible love.” Ephesians 6:10-23