In the beginning, God had established His limits as to how long He would let man live on the earth in our current sinful condition before He would then step in, clear out the sin forever, and then began His new reign with Christ. It is believed by many that He identifies His time frame in Genesis during the time of Noah:
So, what does it mean that man shall only have 120 years? Let’s look at the options:
- A man’s life will be limited to 120 years. This was proven false as for many generations after Noah, men lived in the 100’s of years – 300-500. The lifespan of man has decreased now to around 70-80 with no one living anywhere close to 120 years.
- Mankind will live on earth 120 years x 1,000 = 120,000 years. It could be a possibility, but this number doesn’t line up with anything else in the Bible.
- It took Noah 120 years to build the ark. False. Scholars estimate that it would have taken him a maximum of 75 years to complete the ark, and much less with the help of his sons. Noah got word to build the ark somewhere between his 500 – 600th birthday and entered the ark when he was 600 years old.
- Noah preached for 120 years about the upcoming flood. False. Noah didn’t receive the message from God to build the ark until after his three, triplet sons were born when he was 500 years old. His sons were married with wives when they entered the ark and Noah was said to be 600 years old when he entered the ark. This puts it at a maximum of 100 years, but when God gave the message to Noah, Noah’s sons were already grown with wives, so we’ll need to subtract at least 15 years, so he would have preached a maximum of 85 years if Noah’s sons were 15 (and all married with wives) when Noah got the message.
- God would put up with man for 120 years of generations x 70 year generation = 8,400 years. Possible but 8,400 doesn’t line up with anything else in Scripture.
- God would put up with man for 120 years of generations x 100 year generation = 12,000 years. Possible and would potentially line up with the 12 tribes of Israel.
- God would put up with man for 120 Jubilee cycles of 50 years (as believed by Jewish Rabis). = 120 * 50 = 6,000 years. This conclusion is the most sound as to what God was referring to when He made this statement. The 6,000 years lines up with God’s pattern of creation and the week as I’ll discuss below. So, God would put up with man for 6,000 years.
A maximum of 100 years between the time Noah received the message to build the ark and the time when they entered the ark:
- “32 And Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.” Genesis 5:32
- “13 And God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth. 14 Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch. 15 And this is how you shall make it: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. ” Genesis 6:13-15 (The start of the message of the flood coming)
- “18 But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall go into the ark—you, your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives with you. ” Genesis 6:18 (They were already grown)
- Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation. … 6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.” Genesis 7: 4,6
DAYS OF CREATION
If we look at the days of creation, we will see that the Lord created everything in 6 literal days, with evenings and morning, and then rested on the 7th day. It was a holy day, Sabbath rest from all work. 6 + 1 = 7
“So the evening and the morning were the third day.” Genesis 1:13
We understand that God’s time is much different then our own. How often do we pray for things and want immediate results, yet answers to our prayers can come in years or even decades later, or sometimes, our prayers won’t be answered until after we are no longer here. It seems to us that God is very slow in His response, but in His own time, it is quite fast. We can see how God sets His own time schedule in comparison to ours:
“But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” 2 Peter 3:8
1 day to man = 1,000 years to God
SIX DAYS OF CLEANSING & WORK
If we go back to the days of creation, as 6 days + 1 day of rest = 7 days, and we go to the week that He established as 6 days + 1 day of rest as 7, and we examine some other ordinances in Scripture, we will see that for many afflictions, sins, and even a woman’s menstrual period, the time of being unclean/or working is 6 days and on the 7th day, the person has been made clean. We see God’s perfect framework for the time of cleansing is a 6 day cleansing/work week and on the 7th day is a holy day of rest. We also see in the book of Joshua that the Israelites had to march around Jericho one time for 6 days and on the 7th day, they were to march 7 times around and 7 priests sounded the 7 trumpets with a large blast and the walls of Jericho came tumbling down. Using both the logic of the 6 + 1 = 7 days and weeks and using the knowledge of how God calculates time compared to how we calculate time, we come up with the following:
6,000 years of man (work week & cleansing) + 1,000 years of Sabbath rest (millennial reign of Christ as identified in Revelation) = 7,000 years of the Bible in full. 6,000 + 1,000 = 7,000
We see that the 1,000 year reign of Christ is made for man to rest, but that Jesus will be working this Sabbath rest because He is Lord over the Sabbath (and demonstrated this in the Gospels as He did mostly did work on the Sabbath).
- “And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27
- “For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.” Matthew 12:8
If we place Adam at the beginning of creation, at year zero, then Abraham was born 2,000 years later, and Jesus was born 2,000 years after that, and then we are currently at 2,000 years past Jesus = 6,000 years.
There were 4,000 years before Christ, and will be 2,000 after Christ for the completion of the 6,000 years of man. 4,000 + 2,000 = 6,000.
God’s chosen time frame for testing and trial is 40 or 400 or 4000. It rained on the earth for 40 days and 40 nights during the flood. Noah had to wait 40 days to open the door after it stopped raining. Moses was on the mountain for 40 days to get the commandments. Israel was in slavery for 400 years. Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years after their rebellion. Jesus was tempted for 40 days. God allowed the earth to be in testing and trial for 4,000 years until Jesus came (with an additional 2,000 years of grace to conclude 6,000). On a separate, yet related note, there are exactly 40 Jubilees from Jesus until now.
Not convinced of God’s 1,000 year markers? Let’s look at Revelation 20: 1-7 where He describes the millennial reign of Christ. The interesting point here is that these 7 verses describe this reign (the 7 day week), but the word ‘thousand’ is reference 6 times. Is that a coincidence? I don’t think so. So, God is identifying the 6,000 years in these 7 verses. Weird.
“20 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit[a] and a great chain. 2 And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, 3 and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be released for a little while.4 Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years. 7 And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison” Revelation 20:1-7
So, if we believe that the earth will go through trial and testing for 6,000 years and then Jesus will come back to finish the final 1,000 year (7,000th) year to reign as king, then our next question would be, “When is the 6,000th year?”
First, I’d like to ask if you’ve ever went through all the names with ages and got super bored reading them? Yep, I definitely have too. Why did all of that stuff matter about who had who when they were various ages? Blah blah blah, for most of us. I did actually go through all of genealogy for my own purposes many years ago. I disregarded the numbers, but I was trying to prove to myself the lineage of Jesus. It was actually quite the discovery for me. I had two pages of names and realized at the end of it, that the line ended up with Joseph, but actually Joseph wasn’t physically involved in the birth because the birth came through Mary, who was from the lineage of the Levite priesthood. So, God considered the line of Joseph His heritage even though it wasn’t technically through Joseph, but rather Jesus was grafted in to the line, like we find when we talk about the story of the Gentiles being grafted into the olive tree. And, by way of Mary, He was in the priesthood lineage. Crazy stuff. Back to the topic, you see there are exact reasons for the names and dates of when people were born and it isn’t just to prove that the Bible is historically correct, but rather to show how old the earth actually is, that is if we believe the Bible to be the accurate Word of God.
The head pastor of Soldiers for Christ Community Church actually went through the genealogy for the whole Bible, and documented each person year by year. I’ll just identify some of them below and we will talk about his discovery.
Adam had his first son, Seth, when he was 130 years old, so we know that Adam was created in the first week of creation, so we know that when Seth was born, the earth was 130 years old. The process starts from there when we look at all of the sons and the ages of the father when they were born. We can start with Genesis 4 and follow the entire line. As we calculate each and every person from Adam, adding in all of the ages of the people when they had sons, and bringing it forward into Matthew with the genealogies, and then adding our current years since the death of Jesus, we will come up with 6,000 years exactly in the year 2017. Now isn’t that weird?
So in conclusion, if God has actually set the earth up for a 6,000 year period, we are now at the end of the 6,000th year. Time will tell shortly if this is in fact His plan. It seems pretty convincing, huh? It does to me.
Thank you God, for giving us an accurate record of your word that we can refer to which shows us your entire plan from the beginning to end. It shows us a picture of who you are and how you’ve gone way out of your way to rescue those who are yours. We know that at some point, you will finish acting out the end of your book and though we really don’t know when, it would seem that your plan would include a 6,000 year plan. In all things, help us to better know you, to better understand your plans and purposes, and to love and appreciate you more. You are definitely the master planner and we lay our lives into your hands. In Jesus Name. Amen.
“But now, O Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You our potter; And all we are the work of Your hand.” Isaiah 64:8