The 1,000 year, millennial reign of Christ is a highly desired and anticipated time on the earth. This will be a time like no other in history when Jesus Christ physically rules from Jerusalem as the ultimate king for 1,000 years, a time of complete peace, harmony, justice, and a time when everyone will not only know who Jesus is, but a time when they will worship Him as their King and Lord. He will enforce righteousness and uphold the truth.
- 5 Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist, and faithfulness the belt of his loins.” Isaiah 11:5
- “From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule [shepherd] them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.” Revelation 19:15
For a brief catch up: This time period will happen immediately after the 7 years of tribulation that must come to the earth first. During this time, it will be utter chaos with war, famines, diseases, unrest, physical destruction of much of the earth, and death of most people; however, at the conclusion of this time, there will be the exact opposite, kind of like going all the way back to the beginning in Genesis when Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden. So, it’s hitting a reset button. During this 1,000 years, Satan and his fallen angels will be locked up in the bottomless pit, so they cannot trick and deceive people. Jesus Christ will be known by all and outwardly worshiped by all and righteousness will be demanded of all on the earth. But, this doesn’t mean that everyone’s hearts will be right though, and so when Satan is let out again at the end of the 1,000 year reign, all those who just outwardly followed Jesus during this time, but didn’t inwardly follow Him, will be sadly deceived once again. How can that be? Well, mortal people will continue to be born and families will grow. The children will only know Jesus and will have no knowledge of Satan (unless their parents warn them), and so when Satan is released, they will easily be tricked if they didn’t fully follow Jesus as their ruler.
- “3 And cast [Satan] into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.” Revelation 3:3 “
- 7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.” Revelation 3:7-8
But, let’s talk about what will be happening on the physical earth during the time of the 1,000 year reign…
8 “And it shall come to pass in that day, declares the Lord of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off your neck, and I will burst your bonds, and foreigners shall no more make a servant of him.[a] 9 But they shall serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them.” Jeremiah 30:8-9
ONE WORLD RULER… WITH IMMORTAL SUPERVISORS
Jesus will be the one-world ruler; however, He will have immortal ‘supervisors’ who will serve under Him during this time, ruling and executing judgement on any unrighteous acts. Some of the supervisors will be: 1) Those who were married to Christ at the wedding super (those who have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb – Christians and Jews, still alive on the earth and raptured up to heaven and thus did not die just prior to the Tribulation), 2) Those who are martyred for their faith in Jesus during the Tribulation. 3) The rest of the past believers in Christ (and Old Testament saints), as well as those who die during the 1,000 reign, appear to be resurrected in their glorified bodies after the 1,000 years is complete: i.e., they will still be in heaven in their spiritual bodies during this time and won’t be reigning with Christ):
- “51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.” 1 Corinthians 15: 51-53
- “11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in[b] blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule[c] them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.” Revelation 19:11-16 (Resurrected body of Christ is the armies of heaven in white linen on white horses.)
- “4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. ” Revelation 20:4-6
- 26 The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, 27 and he will rule[a] them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father. 28 And I will give him the morning star.” Revelation 2:26-28
The first resurrection is actually a phase and not just a single event. The first resurrection includes 1) Christ resurrected (and many with Him came out of the tombs at the same time), 2) as well as the raptured saints, or the body of Christ before the Tribulation who were taken while still alive on the earth, 3) and then the martyred saints who died for Jesus during the Tribulation. So, the first resurrection includes all of these separate events that are categorized into one. The second death has no power over them, which is the spiritual death, i.e., their souls are saved by Christ. They all have new glorified, immortal bodies just as Jesus did when He resurrected first.
But, there will still be mortal people on the earth for this 1,000 year reign as they won’t receive their immortal bodies until after the 1,000 years is completed…
MORTALS & ANIMALS ON THE EARTH
Mortal people on the earth during this reign will live as they did way back in Genesis, probably living up to 900 years old, and able to be married, and have lots of babies and thus create many generations. There will no longer be infant deaths as all will live to an old age. 100 will be considered young. (Isaiah 65:20). But where did they come from in the first place? God saved remnant Jews during the Tribulation to start this new age, as well as some Christians (righteous gentiles) who actually survived the Tribulation. This is the promised land prophecy which will finally be fulfilled.
““For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy, and her people to be a gladness. 19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress. 20 No more shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, for the young man shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.” Isaiah 65:17-20
Those on the earth shall build and live in their own houses and they shall farm their own land. All of their labor will be enjoyed by them as nothing will be in vain, and no one shall be required to work for others, but benefit from his own work. They will no longer be slaves to employers, but rather will own and prosper from their own business. This to me also implies that they will have great skills to make their own living.
21 They shall build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit. 22 They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant and another eat; for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be, and my chosen shall long enjoy[c] the work of their hands. 23 They shall not labor in vain or bear children for calamity,[d] for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the Lord, and their descendants with them.” Isaiah 65:21-23
Jesus will answer and provide for all of their needs.
24 Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear.” Is 65:24
Animals will go back to the days before the flood when they were all vegetarians and all will co-habit together and with humans. No longer will animals be a threat to any people. I’m also assuming this means that people will go back to the days of the flood as well and be vegetarians.
25 The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox, and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,” says the Lord.” Isaiah 65:25
6 The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. 7 The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. 8 The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder’s den. 9 They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.” Isaiah 11:6-9
The mortal humans on the earth will be required to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles (Booths) in Jerusalem. They will be required to show honor and worship the Lord, or they will have no rain for their crops.
“9 And the Lord will be king over all the earth. On that day the Lord will be one and his name one.” Zechariah 14:9
“16 Then everyone who survives of all the nations that have come against Jerusalem shall go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Booths. 17 And if any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, there will be no rain on them. 18 And if the family of Egypt does not go up and present themselves, then on them there shall be no rain;[h] there shall be the plague with which the Lord afflicts the nations that do not go up to keep the Feast of Booths. 19 This shall be the punishment to Egypt and the punishment to all the nations that do not go up to keep the Feast of Booths. 20 And on that day there shall be inscribed on the bells of the horses, “Holy to the Lord.” And the pots in the house of the Lord shall be as the bowls before the altar.” Zechariah 14:16-20
IMMORTAL BODIES – WHAT IS THAT LIKE?
For those of us who have been resurrected and will be reigning with Christ, what will these new bodies be like? We can look to Jesus to see some things about His resurrected body and we can look to see what Scripture verses might apply, but all in all, we won’t know everything until we actually get these bodied.
What do we know about Jesus’ resurrected body?
- He could appear and disappear at will
- He could teleport Himself from one point to another
- He could still eat
- He garments were white and super bright
- He could go through walls and ceilings
- They will be perfect without blemish
- They will be immortal which can never die or get sick
- They will never wear out
- They can never get hurt or experience pain
- The body will still look the same, but better
- Our personality will still be the same, but without sin
- Our race will be the same as it was on the earth
- Our gender will be the same as it was on the earth
- We will have complete and un-defiled purpose in Jesus
“When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”” 1 Corinthians 15:54
What a great time in history will this 1,000 year reign be! We look forward to the day when Satan can no longer deceive others, but only righteous truth and justice remains.
Thank you, Lord, for the future hope of the millennial reign of Christ and the abolishment of all worldly, corrupt governments. We ask that many people come to know you before this time happens and we thank you for the opportunity to serve along side you to help others to learn righteousness. In our Savior’s Name, Jesus Christ, Amen.