“A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.” Matthew 16:4
I’ve been just heartbroken lately as I’m watching people, even key church leaders, whom I’ve known and respected for so many years get slowly led away by those who preach a different gospel than the Gospel that Jesus taught. This new gospel is not really new. It’s been around, and repackaged many times, even from Genesis in the garden. What it boils down to is “You can be like God,” Satan’s oldest and easiest deception:
- “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” [said, Satan, to Eve] Genesis 3:5
“YOU can do great and mighty miracles, just like God.” “You can change a whole generation.” “You can experience the power of God.” “You are chosen and above all others.” “You can be just like Jesus and do everything He did” “You can usher in the very presence of God.” “You are a called generation.” … Basically, a self-centered gospel, inflating my pride, and focusing me on my physical experiences and miracles, and not on my spiritual healing and restoration to God because I need a Savior to save me from God’s Judgement. This new Jesus seems somehow to not truly have unique power and stature anymore as the Son of God, but rather His abilities are now transferred to me, “Jesus has passed the baton to me,” as was quoted, and “Jesus was born-again to show me that I can do what He did.”
Through this, though, I’ve become way more concerned about our diligence in our studies of God’s Word so that we are not swayed by the popular teachings of the day. Sadly, I fail often in my own diligence, and I believe that Satan loves this laziness or busyness, or whatever excuse I have for that day. The more I fail to go to God’s Word, the more susceptible I am to swaying from the narrow path. Lord, help us all, who claim You as our Lord, to remain focused on Your Truth.
What does today’s “Package” look like?:
“This is a new generation who is called to change the world… You have the power.”
Many have been, and many more are now grasping at the shirt tales of Bethel Church in Redding, CA, so called “Bill Johnson’s Church,” as one of the sources of this new package. It all sounds so wonderful to our flesh… experiencing the supernatural of God, being engulfed in the experiences of His love and power, and having the power to do mighty miracles. Don’t we all have a part of us who desires these things?
- “From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”” Matthew 4:17
There are many videos out there challenging and calling us back to the Truth. This is just one to help us to open our eyes and not trust everything that we hear and see.
- “For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.” 2 Corinthians 11:4
- “Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.” 1 John 4:1
- “For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.” 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
Be very careful! This is a message to myself as well!