“Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence,and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.” Revelation 20:11-15
One day soon, the prophecy of Revelation will be fulfilled. Evil will be punished as deserved, for all of those who have already died and for those still yet to die. There will be no escape from the final Judgement of the Lord. This makes our hearts stir as we long for the day when justice is accomplished. We hear the nightly news and we see injustices all over the world and we cannot wait until these people are punished… The problem is, though, is that we are all evil from birth and we all deserve the final Judgement from the Lord. No one is exempt from punishment; however…
God is so loving and merciful that He knew that we could not be holy on our own, no matter how hard we might try, and so He took matters into His own hands. He knew He had to protect His children from His own wrath, so He set an amazing plan in place. He would send His own Son to live on earth as one of us and He would willingly give His life to be punished and die for our sins. In this way, God could transfer our sins to Him and we could be washed clean by His blood. God would no longer need to punish our sins because our sins WERE punished once and for all. It’s done.
- “…Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit…” John 19:30
- “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us…” 1 John 3:16a
- “And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” Hebrews 10:10
So, how do you bypass punishment? What’s the formula?
- “I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.” Acts 20:21
- Turn to God
- + Repent (understand you have sinned against God and admit this to God)
- + Have faith in Jesus as the punishment for all your sins
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. ” John 3:16-18
Father God, You have showed us un-measurable grace by sending your Son, Jesus, to take on the punishment that we deserve. What love you have shown us! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for what You have done and thank you that we can bypass the terrible judgement to come as we are pulled safely into Your arms. Help us to live a life worthy of your incredible grace. In Jesus’ Saving Name we pray. Amen.