“… Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
The Lord God was with Joshua all of his days, strengthening him, encouraging him, giving him victories, and loving him. God made many promises to Joshua, one of which was for Joshua to know that God would be with him no matter where he was or what he was going through.
Getting through life KNOWING that God is with you, wherever you go, is the most comforting, secure feeling. You are in a very demanding, stressful job and God is with you. You are struggling with your children and God is with you. You have been diagnosed with a serious medical condition and God is with you. You have just lost someone very dear to you and God is with you. You are filled with joy and thankfulness and God is with you. No matter what you are going through, God says He will be with you. There is no where that you can go that He can’t also go.
- “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” Psalm 139:7-12
The relationship between God and Joshua was a two-way street. God promised He would be with Joshua all of his days, yet He required something of Joshua in order for that to happen.
- “[God says to Joshua,] No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips;meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:5-9
The Lord loved Joshua and would prove His love to him by being with him always. In return, the Lord wanted proof of Joshua’s love to him by following His commands, being in the Scriptures, and thinking about the ways of God. If Joshua would do this, then things would go well for him.
- “If you do whatever I command you and walk in obedience to me and do what is right in my eyes by obeying my decrees and commands, as David my servant did, I will be with you. I will build you a dynasty as enduring as the one I built for David and will give Israel to you.” 1 Kings 11:38
- “Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is.” Amos 5:14
Likewise, the Lord desires a relationship with us, one where He can show His love to us and that He can know our love for Him. It’s a two-way street and God promises He will be there with us, but He also wants us to show our desires for Him by following His Son.
- “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9
Father God, Thank you that you have promised that you will be with us always. There is nothing we can ever go through apart from you. Help us to remain faithful to you, as you have to us, by spending time in your word, obeying your Son, and communicating with you on a regular basis. Father, we love you. Forgive us when there are times we don’t show it. In Jesus Name. Amen.