” Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.” Matthew 10:39
The Christian message has never been comfortable right from the very beginning.
- “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12
If a Christian message is now very comfortable, is it the true Christian message?
- “For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? For we are not like many, peddling [cheapening & watering down] the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.” 2 Corinthians 2:15-17
Being comfortable can lead us into complacency and self reliance.
- “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” Revelation 3:15-17
Being comfortable can look amazing on the outside, but what about the inside?
- “I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.” Revelation 3:1
Who will step out of their comfort zone to be be available and ready to step out to serve God? He’s asking!
- “Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:8
- Do you see comfort traps in your own church?
- Do you see comfort traps in your own life?
- How can you step out of your comfort trap to serve the Lord?
The following video is from an amazing series entitled, “The Restless Church.” I highly recommend teachings from “The Fuel Project,” this being one. Open your eyes and heart and see what God might be showing you.
Video: The Restless Church 4