“And behold I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds [reads & keeps] the words of the prophecy of this book.” Revelation 22:7
Out of all the books of the Bible, the one book that claims a blessing to those who read, understand, and keep it, is the book of Revelation. Why?
Revelation sparks fear in many, fear of the unknown. From a surface level, the book describes scary, devouring beasts, and natural disasters annihilating much of the earth and its inhabitants. Those who don’t follow Jesus have disasters, diseases, heartache, physical pain, and death like has never been known before. Those who do follow Jesus will also be going through persecution like has never been known. This is enough to keep most away from ever opening the pages.
It is easy for us to get into the routines of life… get up, take a shower, go to work, come home, bring one kid to soccer and the other to dance, pick them up, make dinner, do some laundry, watch the news, go to bed. We get so stuck into our routines that we don’t like to think about what the future might hold, and especially if that future may be declining and a little scary, temporarily, from what we know and experience every day. It’s just too much to think about.
Why did God include Revelation if it was too much for us to think about?
He included it because without the book of Revelation, we would have incomplete hope… incomplete hope in our future, in our Savior, in our God, in justice, in His plans. If we didn’t know some of God’s plans to finally redeem the earth and all those who follow Him, if we didn’t know that He was victorious in the end & Satan was defeated, if we didn’t know that we had an eternal life full of joy, peace, and complete love, what would there be to hope in? We would see a declining moral society, more crime, more deception, more injustice, more falling away from God, increased false religions, governmental collapses, more hurting, starving, and poor people, more natural disasters wiping out cities and people, more persecution against Christians who take a stand on their faith, and we would wonder how God could really be who He says He is if all we see are more and more issues and problems, and seemingly less control from Him. He wouldn’t be a very great God if He kept continuing to allow all of this to happen.
The disciple John, the writer of Revelation, at 90 years old, received the words of this book directly from the mouth of Jesus Christ Himself. Jesus had died, had risen, and now had come to John with a final message for His people. Jesus took time to share one last message, because the book was not complete. It was missing something very important… something important enough to speak one last time to His disciple. The message was… Victory!
- “The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond servant John.” Revelation 1:1
- “I, John… was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and the tesimony of Jesus.” Revelation 1:9
- “and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet saying, “Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches [representing all churches for all times]…” Revelation 1:10-11
We are blessed when we read this book because our hope is stirred a fresh. We can see the other side of Jesus that we did not see while He was on the earth the first time… We see the rightful King of Kings in all His glory, power, and victory.
When John was initially shown that God had a plan [sealed in the scroll], he was thrown into deep crying and dispair when the thought occurred to him that no one was worthy enough to reveal God’s plan to the world:
- “Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.” Revelation 5:1-4
But, John soon realized that there was someone who was worthy, and it was Jesus Christ alone, who was able to reveal and execute Father God’s plan to the world. What joy to finally know what the final plans are!
- “Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.” Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.” Revelation 5:5-10
“Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” Revelation 5:13
Don’t be afraid of Revelation. It will bring new life, hope, and blessing to those who study its message and wait anxiously for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is coming back soon. If it were not true, He would not have said it… and many times. Be ready. Be waiting. It is going to be awesome!
- “…the things which must soon take place…” Revelation 1:1
- “…for the time is near.” Revelation 1:3
- “Behold, He is coming with the clouds…” Revelation 1:7″
- …the things which must soon take place.” Revelation 22:6
- “And behold, I am coming quickly…” Revelation 22:7
- “…Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.” Revelation 22:10
- “Behold, I am coming quickly…” Revelation 22:12
- “…Yes, I am coming quickly”… Revelation 22:20
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” – “I started it. I finish it!”