“Dont be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today the Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” Exodus 14:13-14
All of us have times when we feel backed up against a corner. It’s hard to stay in that corner and we definitely don’t feel calm about being there. Our adrenaline kicks in and we want so desperately to fight to get out of that corner, possibly even hurting others in our attempts to free ourselves. It’s even harder to stay in the corner when we were backed into it not by our own doing, but by false accusations, misconceptions, or misinterpretations. “How dare they say that?” comes roaring into our minds. The spiral could continue downward…
I was backed into a situation last week that I wanted to fight to get out of. My defenses came up and I was very angry for being accused of having different intentions than what was actually true. I wanted to defend myself and fight to free my name, but the Lord reminded me that it was His job to fight my battles, especially when they relate to Him, and that I only needed to be silent and calm and wait for Him.
- “For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” Deuteronomy 20:4
There are many times in our lives, and will be, when situations arise where we want so desperately to fight and free our names, but it is not for us to do. If we take matters into our own hands, we only cause further damage. We are to wait on the Lord for Him to work everything out.
Side note: Of course, if you have backed yourself into the corner based on your sin, that’s a little different situation and you must come to the Lord in repentance and do deeds worthy of repentance such as asking for forgiveness, etc.
Jesus gives us the perfect example of remaining silent and calm as He was being questioned from the chief priests and Pilate, awaiting His crucifixion. If anyone was truly innocent, it was Jesus, and yet, He never defended Himself.
- “The chief priests accused [Jesus] of many things. So again Pilate asked him, “Aren’t you going to answer? See how many things they are accusing you of.” But Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.” Matthew 15:3-5
Though silence is mostly desired from us when God is fighting, when necessary, God will give us the words to glorify Himself. These words will not be in defense of our own name, but will be in defense of the Gospel of Christ.
- “And so you will bear testimony to me. But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.” Luke 21:13-15
Some questions to ponder…
- What are some ways that God rescues/fights the battle for me?
- This verse is telling me to stay calm when I am afraid. How can I do that?
- What can I do this week to put these verses into use?
Father God, thank you for fighting for us. Help us to remember to be silent and seek you first in our defense. Help us to forgive others as you have forgiven us when wrongs come our way, as we know that we, too, create wrongs. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.