“But [God] said, “You cannot see My face, for no man can see Me and live.” Exodus 33:6
Because of our human sinfulness, we are not yet allowed to view the most intimate part of Father God. Though we can be shielded by the blood of Jesus and come to God in prayer, we have not yet fully come into our righteousness and so there remains a barrier within us that blocks a very precious part of Father God… the revealing of His face.
A face tells a lot about a person. It can show us if one is afraid, angry, sad, happy, joyous, surprised, and a zillion other emotions. The face is the most precious and revealing part of a person. The face defines a person. It identifies them. It shows us into their soul, their innermost being.
Though Father God cannot yet reveal His face to us, He desires for us to see His glory and see who He is.
- “Then the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the rock; When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.” Exodus 33:21-23
God has chosen to reveal Himself through His Son, Jesus Christ, by sending Him to the earth so that we might know Him.
- “If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:7
- “…Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father….” John 14:9
Haven’t we all desired to see what God looks like, to look into His face? One day, we will see the face of God, if we give our lives to Jesus Christ as He is the only one who can wash us to righteousness.
- “For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; the upright will see his face.” Psalm 11:7
- “For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” 1 Corinthians 13:12
God’s promise to us is that one day, He will reveal His face to us…. His full self, so that we can be connected with Him in the most intimate way forever.
- “[we] will see His face, and His name will be on [our] foreheads.” Revelation 22:14
Praise be to the holy God of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob! For His glory will be revealed and endure for ever!