“Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.” Proverbs 3:3-4
Depending on what version of the Bible you are reading, the Hebrew words in this text defined as “love and faithfulness” can also be translated to: loyalty, kindness, truth, and mercy.
Want to make a good name for yourself? The best way to do it is to never leave the house without these keys:
- Love – Willingly giving of yourself to help, encourage, care for, and build up others.
- Faithfulness – Keeping to your word and never giving up on someone
- Loyalty – Standing by someone even when it costs you something
- Kindness – Showing generosity and consideration, being friendly
- Truth – Sharing the truth in a loving way
- Mercy – Forgiving even when you have been wronged
If you do choose to leave the house without your ‘keys’, what could happen? Let’s look at what the opposite would be, for comparison purposes. Left to our own strength, we would tend to fall into these opposites:
- Unloving – Caring about meeting your own needs before others
- Unfaithfulness – Going back on your promises and giving up helping others when it is too hard
- Un-loyalty – Betraying others to protect yourself
- Meanness – Being harsh and judgmental in all aspects
- Lying – Covering up the truth to save yourself from pain
- Retribution – Paying back people for the wrong that they’ve caused you
As hard as we may try, we will still forget or misplace our keys from time to time. We need the help of Jesus Christ to make sure we have our keys and we are using them to keep going forward, progressing in love and faithfulness. We must seek Him and trust in Him, daily, not on our own understanding, by on His Words.
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
How can you more fully trust in the Lord for not only your own provisions, but on your transformation?
How can you make sure to spend quality time with the Lord each day? Finding and receiving your keys depends on this.
Father, help us to remember to grab our keys of ‘love and faithfulness’ before we begin each day, by spending time with You in Your Word, in prayer, and in worship and thanksgiving. We want more of you to shine through us. We need your help! In Jesus’ Name we pray, Amen.