When you were little, did you want to be someone else? Maybe, it was a movie star. Maybe, a tv star. Maybe, a superstar athlete or racecar driver. Maybe, a super hero. I wanted to be Wonder Woman. I would use paper, tape, and crayons to create her magic belt, tiara, and bracelets, and used a gold rope for my truth lasso. I was so cool! Then, my brother (as Superman or Batman) and I would play out in the yard rescuing imaginary friends from distress and capturing the evil criminals. If only we could have been transformed into the actual heroes, we would have been in ‘heaven.’
As an adult, I would venture to say that many of us have still wanted to be someone else. There were traits in others that we wanted for our own. There were relationships that others had that we desired. There were things that others had that we wanted so that we, too, could have ‘a better life.’ Maybe, there was even a person who we really wish we could swap lives with. Being an adult didn’t change our childhood desires of being someone else, it probably even accentuated these desires.
God has a remedy for these wishful desires. We can finally be someone else!
- “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! ” 2 Cor 5:17
For those who come to the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved from our old, sinful lives, we are given a completely new life. We are a brand new, born-again creation, with new motives, new desires, a new heart, a new love for God and His children…. a totally new life.
- “For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.” 1 Peter 1:23
- “I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 11:19
- “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26
God takes our ‘heart of stone’ and changes it into a ‘heart of flesh’ and He continues to transform us more into His likeness as we continue to seek Him through His Word, through prayer, through fellowship with other believers, through attending church, through worshiping, through serving, through thanksgiving and hardship. It is our job to seek. It is His job to change us.
- “And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” 2 Cor 3:18
God will fulfill your transformation into the person you have always dreamed of… the superhero who’s heart is completely pure and full of love for God and others. The superhero who’s desires completely line up with the Father. The superhero who perfectly displays all of the fruits of the spirit.
- “being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control…” Galations 5:22-23
You are no longer the same and will continue to change until the day you meet the Lord face to face.