Those who accept worship cannot be truly one of Jesus’ followers. Why?
In Revelation 19, John is being told by a glorious angel about the coming marriage of the Lamb. John was so excited and overjoyed that he fell to the ground as if to worship the angel who delivered the message.
- Revelation 19:10 “Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brothers who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God…”
- Revelation 22:8-9 “ I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”
From the mouth of Jesus’ disciples, it is also clear that men are not to accept any form of worship.
- Acts 10:24-26 “The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.””
Those who truly know God and are closest to Him cannot even fathom the concept of receiving worship as they know that only God deserves worship. False religions worship men.
The Pharisees received, and believed they should receive, worship as they saw themselves above the ‘common man,’… the holder of the law of God. We know how Jesus felt about their arrogance at demanding worship. There are many passages where Jesus rebukes the Pharisees…
- Matthew 12:33-34 [To the Pharisees]”Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.”
- Matthew 23:33 “33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?”
Be aware of who you follow. A true follower will direct all worship to His Creator & Savior.