When we think of someone who is prideful, we think about the arogant person who talks about himself constantly. He knows everything. He’s been everywhere and no matter what you say, he’s able to top you. He thinks the world of himself and looks down on others.
We most assuredly cannot be prideful, because we know ‘those’ people and we definitely cannot be ‘those’ people, but ironically, by thinking this, we are showing our own pride in that we are claiming we are better than the prideful ones. Ouch!
- “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” Romans 3:23
I had an incident within myself today when I was telling my friend about how this lady handled something with me last week. I thought it was terrible what she did and though I didn’t have to say it, I thought it, “I wouldn’t do that to someone.” So, by thinking this, I was prideful, stating that I was so much better than her.
Pride blinds our true condition.
- “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall” Proverbs 16:18
How do we keep ourselves from the destruction of pride?
- “In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.” Psalm 10:4
From this verse, we can understand that in order to keep our pride in check, we must seek God, admitting and confessing our pride to Him, making room for Him in our thoughts.
- “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” Proverbs 11:2
And, we must be humble. Humility, though, is not thinking less of myself. Thinking less of myself is called ‘insecurity’ and actually is a preoccupation with the negative aspects of myself. To be truly humble, we should have no thoughts about self, and only thoughts of God and of helping others.
God promises that with humility comes wisdom and I think we can all agree that receiving extra wisdom is a good thing!
- “For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.” 1 John 2:16
“But He gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”James 4:6
Father, we pray that you give us eyes to see our pride problem and give us the conviction to admit it to you. Thank you so much that you choose to forgive us and show favor to us even when we don’t deserve it. In Jesus’ Name. Amen