How many times do you hear people swearing like this, “Mohammad! I can’t believe that happened!” “Allah! What are you doing?” “Oh, Buddah! That hurt!” or even the powerful adversary, “Oh Satan! Quit that!” Or, even the silliness of this, “What in Bill’s name are you thinking?”
You won’t ever hear a swear word with another name. Instead, you hear the name of Jesus Christ blasphemed all the time. “Jesus Christ! What did you do that for?” Why do those who don’t believe in Him use His name then? Kind of a weird concept, isn’t it?
“…And all day long My Name is constantly blasphemed.” Isaiah 52:5
The name of Jesus is the only name with power and people know it instinctively, though they still may deny His deity. Why else would you use His name, especially if you thought the Bible was a fraud? You wouldn’t use a word if it made you appear weak or stupid or made you the laughing stock of your friend circle. The only reason why you would use it is because by using this name, you would make yourself appear great, smart, powerful, and intimidating to others. You would elevate yourself to a higher level and show your dominance in your conversations. “Jesus name is power, therefore, I am power.”
Ironically, that by non-believers using the name of Jesus in this way, they are outright agreeing with the fact that the name of Jesus Christ is the most powerful name. So, they’ve proved that Jesus’ Name, in fact, is the most powerful name both to non-believers and believers alike. Funny.
There is no other name filled with such power as the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God!
- “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12 (Jesus is the only savior)
- “For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Romans 10:13 (Calling on Jesus’ name, saves)
- “…Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,” Mark 9:39 (Miracles done in His name)
- “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31 (There is life in His Name)
- “Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38 (Jesus forgives sins and gives the Holy Spirit)
- “Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Acts 3:6 (Jesus heals)
- “By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.” Acts 3:16 (Jesus heals)
- “then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.” Acts 4:10 (Jesus raises from the dead)
- “Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.” Acts 4:18 (Jesus name had power)
I can’t help but think about the actual seriousness of using the name of Jesus in a blasphemous way. God has made it clear that those who use His name in this way, will reap their rewards:
“Anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.” Leviticus 24:16
Choose your words carefully.
Use the name of Jesus for life or for death. It’s your choice.
One day, Jesus will come back, and at that time, those who have denied Him, yet have used His Name wrongfully, will finally acknowledge the truth that was already hiding in their heart… that Jesus is God, and His name is filled with the most power, but it will be too late at that time to be repentant and forgiven.
Turn now to be cleansed by the most powerful name under heaven, Jesus Christ.
For, as “It is written: “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘EVERY knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’” Romans 14:11