I’ve never really heard of sinkholes until just recently. It’s crazy the amount of them this past year. There is a website that tracks them, but here are just a few that have happened the past couple of months.
- Feb 2013, Pennsylvania.
- Feb 2013, California. Residential street collapses.
- Feb 2013, Florida. Man’s bedroom sinks within the earth. Man sleeping in the room is killed. Can’t find him.
- March 2013, St Louis MO. Man is golfing and falls 18′ into a sinkhole on the greens. Injured but lived.
- March 2013, Washington DC. A small sinkhole opened up in the city.
- March 2013, California. Sink hole swallows up an entire pond in a night.
- March 2013, Florida. Another sink hole opens up in same town man was killed in Feb.
- March 2013, China. A 25 year old man was killed when a sink hole opened up on the sidewalk he was walking on.
- March 2013, Maine. Smaller sink hole opens up on a residential street trapping one car.
- March 2013, Pennsylvania. 30′ wide, 20′ deep sink hole opens up in a residential yard.
- April 2013, Chicago. Street opens up and pulls down 4 cars on a residential street.
- April 2013, Russia. Several houses fall into an 85 m wide and 15 m deep sink hole.
- April 2013, Russia. Lots more, 24 that I’ve counted, open up in all parts of Russia.
Website for all sinkholes: http://thesinkhole.org/
Scientists equate the sinkholes to all sorts of reasons from too much moisture to mines, but I don’t think they really know what is going on.
“You stretch out your right hand, and the earth swallows your enemies.” Exodus 15:12
Let’s see what God and His Word have to say about the earth opening up; i.e.,”sinkholes.”
- “Then Moses said, “This is how you will know that the Lord has sent me to do all these things and that it was not my idea: If these men die a natural death and suffer the fate of all mankind, then the Lord has not sent me. But if the Lord brings about something totally new, and the earth opens its mouth and swallows them, with everything that belongs to them, and they go down alive into the realm of the dead, then you will know that these men have treated the Lord with contempt.” As soon as he finished saying all this, the ground under them split apart and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them and their households, and all those associated with Korah, together with their possessions. They went down alive into the realm of the dead, with everything they owned; the earth closed over them, and they perished and were gone from the community.” Numbers 16:28-33
- “At their cries, all the Israelites around them fled, shouting, “The earth is going to swallow us too!” Numbers 16:34
- “The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them along with Korah, whose followers died when the fire devoured the 250 men. And they served as a warning sign.” Numbers 26:10
- “But you blew with your breath, and the sea covered them. They sank like lead in the mighty waters. Who among the gods is like you, Lord? Who is like you— majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders? “You stretch out your right hand, and the earth swallows your enemies.” Exodus 15:10-12
- “Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always. Remember today that your children were not the ones who saw and experienced the discipline of the Lord your God: his majesty, his mighty hand, his outstretched arm; the signs he performed and the things he did in the heart of Egypt, both to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his whole country; what he did to the Egyptian army, to its horses and chariots, how he overwhelmed them with the waters of the Red Sea as they were pursuing you, and how the Lord brought lasting ruin on them. It was not your children who saw what he did for you in the wilderness until you arrived at this place, and what he did to Dathan and Abiram, sons of Eliab the Reubenite, when the earth opened its mouth right in the middle of all Israel and swallowed them up with their households, their tents and every living thing that belonged to them. But it was your own eyes that saw all these great things the Lord has done.” Deuteronomy 11:1-7 (These families turned against Moses)
- “Now send a message at once and tell David, ‘Do not spend the night at the fords in the wilderness; cross over without fail, or the king and all the people with him will be swallowed up.’” 2 Sam 17:16
- “The battle spread out over the whole countryside, and the forest swallowed up more men that day than the sword.” 2 Sam 18:8
- “Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me.” Psalm 69:15
- “The earth opened up and swallowed Dathan; it buried the company of Abiram.” Psalm 106:17
- “Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth.” Revelation 12:15-1
It would appear from scripture that God opened up the earth to swallow up His enemies, i.e., those who oppose Him. Makes me wonder about all the current sinkholes, why they have appeared where they are and who was directly involved? We won’t hear this on the news though, but from God’s Word, it would appear that He was stretching out His great right hand to either wake people up to repentance or punish for rebellion.
Lord, wake us all up. Keep us true to Your Word and remove any rebellion from our hearts! In Jesus Name, Amen!