It’s so hard to watch all the injustices in this world, from rape to murder, to robbery to infidelity. It makes you want to cry, especially when those whom you love personally are intimately involved. Praise the Lord for He is good and He has promised to judge fairly in His due time. It is the judge’s call on the final outcome of all offenses. We wait patiently for His future ruling.
Are you tempted to ‘pay back’ someone for a wrong they’ve done?
Getting even! Think again!
God warns us many times that it is strictly His job to pay back a wrong for a wrong. We’re not to take it into our own hands, even if we’ve been unfairly treated. Instead, we are to do good and to pray about all injustices and let God have the final say. God promises a fair judgment! Do you believe Him?
If you suffer unfairly for Him, you’ll find favor (and get ‘extra credit) with God…
- 1 Pet 2:19 “For this finds favor if for the sake of conscience towards God a person bears up under sorrow when suffering unjustly.”
- 1 Pet 2:20 “For what credit is there if, when you sin & are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right & suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.”
You’ll be following in Jesus footsteps for He unfairly suffered for you…
- 1 Pet 2:21 “For you have been called for this purpose since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow.”
You are to pay back the wrong by doing good…
- Matt 5:39 “But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.”
Give more than they deserve…
- Matt 5:40 “If anyone wants to sue you & take your shirt, let him have your coat also.”
- Matt 5:41 “Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.”
- Matt 5:42 “Give to him who asks of you & do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.”
Never take revenge. Instead, show love and kindness…
- Rom 12:19-21 “Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written “Vengeance is Mine. I will repay, says the Lord.” But if your enemy is hungry feed him & if he is thirsty, give him a drink, for in so doing you will be heaping coals on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil for good.”
- Prov 20:22 “Do not say, I will repay evil, wait for the Lord & He will save you.”
- Lev 19:18 “You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbors as yourself. I am the Lord.”
- 1 Pet 3:9 “Bless those who do evil for this is what you are called to do.”
Show mercy just as Christ showed mercy to you…
- Matt 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.”
- James 2:13 “Judgment is without mercy for the one who shows no mercy.”
Do good, always…
- 1 Pet 3:17 “Better to suffer on earth for doing good, then to suffer God’s wrath in hell for doing evil.”
These are all hard shoes to fill, but with the Lord’s help, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.